Sunday, May 27, 2007

Goal Shoals

Well, I hope I'm not tempting fate in saying this, but now my foot is feeling oh so slightly better, I feel like planning some goals for the next year or so. Something to aim towards, because not having goals currently is making me do sweet FA!

I've finished the first course of Prexige and am now onto Voltaren three time a day for a couple of weeks. I can feel the injury a little bit more again (thinking it's because voltaren isn't as strong) so I'm not counting my chickens just yet but it would just be nice to have something to daydream about when I'm driving myself nuts watching everyone else do all the big races!

I was supposed to do the 5km TT yesterday morning and slept in, so this morning I went to Mt.Cootha and did 45 minutes on the trails. Bit of a rush because I have to go and take my exhibition down today. Walked a fair bit. As I was run/walking, I was thinking that perhaps Six Foot might be a good training goal. I'm thinking I'll need at the very least, a solid six month lead up (which is going to mean training through the hot weather, argh!) but as long as my injury continues to improve, it's a realistic idea. Gives me a few months just to come good, then I can kick in to it properly.

I'd also like to do the 24km GH run at the end of july and then (all being well!) the 30km in september (what happened to the 50k option?) I want to regain a bit of confidence in my ability to do the distance. Amazing how much you can take that for granted.

I'm still not quite sure about the Queensland Half next weekend. It's a bit scary because it's such a jump in distance from what I have been reduced to. The last three or four weeks at least, I've run nothing longer than about 10km. I don't know whether I should just skip it, do the 10km (though it'll kill me to be there and not do the half!) or pace the 2:30 group again with Ronnie.

What other goals should I have for the next year or so? (other than 100 miles next year!)

2 comments:

Shane said...

Good news about the injury Hannah, hopefully it keeps on healing nicely.

I would stick to the 10k next weekend, you wouldn't want to take a step back in your recovery and stuff the remainder of the year up because of one race.

6ft sounds like a great goal also Im not sure if it is officail but there is talk that Warwick will be a 50k event over the labour day weekend. Could be interesting

Ewen said...

I'm with Shane - even a very slow half is risky.

You just have to do 6' Hannah. You'll love it. No need to go balistic with the training either as Jen showed this year, still running sub 7 hours.

Otherwise, just aim to get fitter and faster :)