Sunday, May 13, 2007

10km + MDC 8km

On thursday I did a PT session and got my butt kicked by my trainer for being crap with my food again. Hopefully it will inspire me to improve. I'm going back on Lite n Easy at the end of the week after cancelling it in a fit of irritation at myself for wasting money on it when I was cheating anyway.

On friday I went back to circuit training which was good. Nice to be back and there was a huge rainbow afterwards. The mosquitos were shocking though - apparently there is a swarm of salt marsh mossies in the area that have flown down from sandgate that been causing problems. Having pommie blood, I am a beacon for them, aerogard or no!

On saturday, my foot still felt okay, so I went out and ran 10km on the nearby bikepath. Hard work. I think you know you're unfit when 10km seems a long way again! LOL! After that, I went to a 50th Birthday party and my foot throbbed the whole way through. I wore flats, but still drove me nuts. Got to bed at 1am.

Today, I did the MDC 8km. Was rudely awoken by the lovely Ronnie banging on my front door - I had slept in! I hate doing that - of course I bolted around my unit throwing clothes on and grabbing stuff. I must've been in a deep sleep, since I answered the door practically naked! Poor Ronnie! Anyway, managed to get myself together and fell into the car half asleep still, putting socks and shoes on and timing chip.

Arrived at the start, went to the loo and then before I knew it we were off. I knew the minute we started running that I was going to feel it. My thighs were fatigued from yesterday and I thought I might have to walk. Eventually I fell into a rhythym though and kept going. I really wanted not to have to walk... would be really depressing not to be able to complete 18km in a weekend. This time last year, I did 42km in a weekend at Warwick without batting an eyelid (okay, well, I was buggered, but I did it). Anyway, no use dwelling on that!

Bumped into the lovely tanky on the way back and had a brief chat. I've missed all the races and ultras so much and I think a large part of that is the people - they rock. By that point in the run, my foot was really starting to hurt and I felt like shit. Tanky dropped back to walk with her parents and I carried on.

The finish chute was absolute bedlam. To be completely honest, I've never yet experienced a good USM event. The poor volunteers were overwhelmed - we got herded into the finishing area, packed in like sardines. It took me over 20 minutes just to reach water. Mostly I think it was because the race packs weren't assembled so people were picking up bits and pieces from tables along the way, taking ages to move. Again, the volunteers were doing a great job and there were apparently 1000 more entrants than they expected, but USM really should have made the water tables easier to access. It's not just inconvenient not to be able to get to water, but dangerous. At those events, most of the people running don't normally run and they need to drink. As did I ;) If it had been hotter, I imagine they'd have had to start pulling people out over the barricades, like at a rock concert!

Anyway, that's my grumble for the day. I did get a funky pink water bottle too. Once I got clear of the madness, I discovered my foot was really really REALLY unhappy with me again and limped back to the car. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow because I'd like to either do circuit training or the social run at sandgate. Or both. But we shall see. If it's this bad tomorrow, I will be happy just to walk normally!

No comments: