Sunday, February 11, 2007

DNF - 6:00

So, my first ever DNF! I guess it has to happen sometime. I made it to six hours and then decided that for my health, sanity and ability to train in the near future, I should stop.

Arrived at Caboolture quite early and it was great - a total CR fest! Met a few new faces and caught up with some I haven't seen in ages, which was lovely. There were heaps more people this year and lots more on the track in the first few hours.

Before long, we were all lined up into groups according to how long we were running and then, all of a sudden, we were off! I put my ipod on and realised that somehow, my music had been replaced with podcasts of Kyle-bloody-Sandilands, the annoying git from Australian Idol! Argh! I pressed buttons to no avail, so had to console myself with disagreeing wholeheartedly with the utter rubbish that springs forth from that man’s mouth.

On running around the track, I noticed that the lovely Davo had put encouraging signs up for us all in strategic spots… it gave me a giggle and a lift every time I went by them. That man needs a medal! Counting laps and cheering, he’s one of a kind!

At about an hour and a half in, the storm clouds that had been gathering in the distance hit and the rain started falling. I whipped off my ipod and handed it to Davo as it’s not in a waterproof case. I wish they made waterproof cases for the nano. I’m not game enough to risk gladwrap! At least it meant I got a break from Kyle! I then realised I’d left my bag out in the open and that it was unzipped, so I had to divert quickly and grab it. Everything inside, including my dry clothes, my purse and phone (!) got absolutely soaked.

The rain got pretty heavy and running around the track was a bit like going through the rinse cycle of a washing machine. Repeatedly. The track turned to mud and I started gathering up half the course in my shoes. (note to self: buy gators!) Annoying little pebbles that rubbed at the soles of my feet. The body glide wore off my arms and I started chafing majorly. It’s quite impressive today, but I won’t inflict a photo on you all!

My shoes filled up with water and became like concrete and cane toads started appearing all over the place. I found myself having to jump around a bit to avoid landing on them. Tess ran by me and almost took a wrong turn, hee hee! Mind you, it was fairly hard to see where we were all going at that point!

At about three hours, I realised I was in trouble. All the long runs I've done in the last month have been on hills and trails and the constant flat started to kill me. My hips and back hurt and I started realising I was going to have to fight to make it to six, let alone twelve hours.

Tanky ran by me and told me she knew I had more in me and I knew I did, too which caused me have a quiet, miserable blub on the back straight. Shortly after, the rain began to ease up and the mud started to get deeper. I resorted to walking all laps and spent some time going around with Cirque who did a great job in listening to me whinge!

At about four and a half hours, I grabbed my ipod again and managed to make it play properly. The first hour or so is the playlist I used when I ran the GCM and it made me reflect on that. Consequently, I pulled my head in, stopped feeling sorry for myself and got angry with that 500m circle of mud. I decided to make it to six hours at least. I started power walking (Hermie gave me some great tips as he lapped me!) and just put my head down and bum up and went for it.

At six hours, I decided enough was enough. Uncle Phil (Coach) was there and walked the last couple of laps with me, which meant a lot. He was very good and didn’t say ‘I told you so’ once. Mind you, I think I said that to myself instead. Bah!

What did I learn from this experience? That I need to do a lot more training if I’m going to have a crack at the GH80km and that I’m going to have to seriously think about whether I can make the distance on my own before I attempt it. If I get stuck out there, you can’t just walk off the track.

Call this a new resolution… more training, less whinging!

Some thankyous…

The CR cheersquad and lapcounters were brilliant as always! A big, huge thankyou goes out to Davo, who did an amazing job at keeping everyone's spirits up - from putting encouraging signs up around the track, to putting an esky full of free drinks out for coolrunners, to counting laps for Tanky and I. Davo, you rock - I'm waiting for an opportunity to return the favour!

Thankyou to Cirque for coming and cheering, the crew from the Run Inn (was great to see all of you!) Hermie for offering some much needed encouragement around the track, AB for checking all was well after and Tanky for being my inspiration! You rock, Girl - couldn't have made it to six without you!

Thanks to Geoff and all the volunteers that make this event so special. It has a unique atmosphere and I'll be back - me and that track have unfinished business!

Despite the DNF, I had a great time.... If nothing else, it showed me I've got a whole heap of training ahead of me before GH! Congratulations everyone on some fab PBs and records. Tess for the 50k, Clairie for the 36km (?) and many more.

6 comments:

Shane said...

That amount of time is still so far out of my league. I couldn't have imagined staying out there for that long and in what was fairly horrible track conditions.

Those rocks annoyed the crap out of me too, if I were to stayed out any longer I would not have very much skin left on my soles.

I mentioned that to Cass about the effort put in by Davo. One of a kind and certainly the number one supporter for CR's.

Well done on the 6hrs and for not stringing yourself up after listening to Kyle for that amount of time :-)

So how did your distance compare to your 43k?? or thereabouts from last years 6hr?

Tesso said...

I'm glad you aren't beating yourself up Hannah ... or are you ;-)

Wow, you were out there for six hours ... six hours! And through what has to be the absolute worst running conditions we could come across in Brisbane (well, Caboolture). To continue on would have set your training back. And a DNF is far far far better than a DNS!

PS Thanks for being there when I almost took that wrong turn. I guess I was on newish territory. Including that night over the past four years I'd only run around the track about 400 times :-)

PPS You can now get waterproof Nano holders. I am doing some serious investigating and price checking and will keep you informed.

Stephen Lacey said...

Nice work Hannah. It seems that the saying "better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all" is most appropriate here. By setting the goal so high, what you accomplished in the process of "failing" was an astounding feat in itself, so there is certainly nothing to be ashamed of in the DNF. And it is clear that you understand and accept that and hence the sensible decision of pulling the pin when you did. Congratulations on all counts.

Ewen said...

I'm sorry about the DNF Hannah. A great effort nevertheless.

I bet you'll turn the experience into motivation for the training needed for the GH80. Recover and get into it!

undercover brother said...

u cant dnf a track event hannah!
i know lots of people who have pulled the pin early or had several hours off track and walked a bit at the end.
it still isnt a dnf :)
well done on the 6 hours.
thats a damn long time.

Tamyka Bell said...

I just read this (I had only read your CR report) and now I feel bad - I made you cry! Sorry dude! I have just seen you tough out things much worse than that first three hours and knew you could do more. Rest assured that it doesn't count as a DNF if it's saved you months of injury time. We're all as proud as parents and siblings would be - your CR family :D