Saturday, July 15, 2006

D2W Relay 74km - First Female Team!

I've been fairly slack this week. Mostly because I'm still struggling to recover. Entirely my own fault, I know. Hopefully things will improve this week and next.

Thanks to my trainer, who had the bright idea to shift my PT session to a tuesday morning, track on tuesday night was really, really hard. He absolutely thrashed me into the ground and consequently, trying to run that night was like trying to wade through mud.

Anyway.

Because I felt sooo tired and because I have also been working 14 hour days the last week or so, I didn't go running on the wednesday night. Infact, I really did nothing until today, when I somehow got roped into taking part in the Dayboro to Woodford Relay.

D2W is a really small race through very hilly land ajoining (and at some points crossing into) the Glasshouse trail run terrain. Teams of seven compete with members doing two legs each during the day. I did a 6km leg and a 3km leg. Sounds like nothing really, after 42.2, doesn't it?

Schultzy coordinated the teams and alotted the legs and he knew I wasn't up to much, so I got the easier legs. My first leg (the 6km) was the first to start. It was graded as easy and "mostly flat". Let me just say, it was FAR from mostly flat! As the day wore on, we all started to realise the difficulty ratings of all the runs were more on the (how shall we say?) optimistic side of accurate!

We started in Dayboro, outside the school. I found myself sorrounded by uber quick whippets and started freaking out wondering what I'd let myself in for. The pressure was increased by the fact that the next leg required a restart and they couldn't go until I go there! The weather was shocking - it was freezing, rainy and grey and the wind started picking up.

Sure enough, when we set off they went 0-60 in about 6 seconds. I knew within the first 100m that I was going to spend both runs struggling. I feel like I'm stuck in first gear at the moment - I'm fine on the flat at a plod, but the minute you throw decent hills into the mix, it's a major struggle. (patience, grasshopper, I know)

Anyway, I plodded along, wishing I'd taken my ipod with me, but trying to enjoy the views. It's such a beautiful area. I distracted myself with promises that when I feel better, I'll go back to train on the hills for the GH 50km. Next year (or the year after at this rate) it'll be great for 6ft, too.

I don't think I've ever run such a lonnngggggg 6km before. It was technically supposed to be 5km I think, but felt like 10km and there were loads of hills. I had really bad period pain the whole way which didn't help either. Not to mention, the pace car was about two inches from my behind the whole way and I felt fairly pressured by the noise of the engine just behind me (another reason for ipods!)

Eventually, I came around the last corner and everyone was there cheering me in. I know someone has to be last and normally I wouldn't care, but there was just such a big gap in the level of ability between me and the other runners that I felt weird having them all *see* me finish. I think it's the first time I've felt genuinely embarrassed at finishing a run. Blah!

Hot cup of amazing *proper* coffee from my teammate Suzannah (my GH50 collaborating running buddy! *waves*) and a slice of toast had me getting over my self and we headed off for the next leg. Some of the runners in our team did bloody amazing runs. Tania in particular blitzed the hardest leg, Karen did a sterling job on hers too. Suzannah did sub 25 on a hilly 5km and then a great longer 8km. While she was running, I got to drive her 4WD which was a first for me and loads of fun!

My second leg was a 3km on part of the Mount Mee Classic course that Phil organises. There was one other all-female team from the Caboolture Road Runners and their runner whipped my butt in the first 6km leg. We ended up running in the 3km together too.

As per normal, everyone took off like they were on fire for the 3km and I tootled along behind. Went out at a somewhat faster pace than previously though. The other lady got the hop on me at the start, but slowed a little after about 800m. She was about 50m ahead of me.

We crossed off into a bush trail (lots of mud, broken rocks and hills) and I started to catch her. We crossed through a freezing creek (wet socks and shoes, lovely) and I started gaining fast. It was my favourite bit of both runs - I think because I realised that while I couldn't keep up on the bitumen, if you put me on trails, it's a different story. Love that sensation of flying along and calculating where to put your feet. Sort of like your body floating while your legs are going like the clappers beneath you.

Unfortunately, we crossed out of the bush side by side and the other runner took off again. No chance to keep up. More and more hills and again, the LONGEST three kms I have ever run. Even walked up a particularly steep bit. In a 3km race! Couldn't help but laugh at myself ;) If we'd stayed on the trails I'd have had her, but C'est la Vie!

The rest of the legs flew by and we finished up being the first all-female team. We even got a HUGE bit of trophy-bling and is going on the wall at the Run Inn. Felt quite relieved that me being terminally slow didn't hold the others back. They said they didn't care, but it's still nice not to have been an entirely dead weight! We then got back to the Showgrounds and had a barbeque which was yummy, before heading back to Brisbane.

It was an interesting experience really. I'm not entirely sure I like relays now. Bit too much pressure. The weather was shocking but I imagine on a nice day, it would be an amazingly scenic run (wasn't bad as it was, but blue sky is always good!) The Caboolture Runners seem like a nice bunch and I learnt some new training spots for running which was good. Got to gossip and catch up with lots of people and we got bling, so can't complain at all :)

5 comments:

Tamyka Bell said...

Hannah, those relays really hurt. You push yourself extra hard for your mates. (Or at least, you should!) My goal for Endeavour last year was to run so hard I threw up. I succeeded!

Good to hear you're making the transition to trail ultrarunner... you can't resist. It ain't the darkside! "Come into the light, child..."

Shane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shane said...

WooHoo! more bling, congrats.
Yesterday was horrible weather I can only imagine what it would have been like out in the sticks. Good on you, it sounded like a tough day but you did your best. Those work hours would have impacted your performance more than you think.

Trails are great, very enjoyable however we cant lose you to the dark side. You wouldn't fit in, those people are very strange there is somthing not right about them :)

Robert Song said...

Johnny Dark posted this interesting article on post Marathon recovery on CR. In case you didn't see it, here it is. Worth a read.

http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/124.html

Tesso said...

Congrats on the win Hannah!!! Must've been a good feeling to give that Caboolture girl a bit of a scare.

Are you going to do the 500k relay this year?