Sunday, August 20, 2006

Noosa 2:06

Well, a truly disgusting run today, but, mea culpa – I suspect the following may have had something to do with it:

1. I have eaten rubbish in the last fortnight. Thus, I am heavier again and feeling every bit of it.
2. For whatever reason, I am not running as well as I was before GCM.

I’m not quite sure why I’m still flat as a tack after the GC. I mean, eventually you have to reach a point where you stop blaming the marathon. I’ve definitely not been running as fast since then – more focussed on distance and endurance for the GH and I guess with speed it’s a case of use it or lose it.

I used my plod today as time to reflect on where I want to go and what I want to do with my running next. My last big event for the season is the GH 50km – anything else after that will just be for fun.

As you guys all know, I had gotten all fired up for getting into ultras (and still am) but I think I need to spend some time going back to basics, cementing all the groundwork I’ve done in the last year before I try to ramp things up any further. I think I’d be nuts to ignore everything and just keep on pushing when my body (in numerous ways) appears to be telling me it’s not happy. Quite ironic really, to feel most comfortable in long slow runs but to struggle physically to recover in an average timeframe! LOL!

Between September – March, I’d really like to have a bit of a break, then get a bit quicker on shorter distances, work on my technique and overall fitness. I’m also going to go and visit the podiatrist because I think the time has come to admit (much as my wallet would like to deny it) that I need an orthotic or something. Whenever I get injured or something twinges, it’s on the left side. My left foot hurts during runs and my left hamstring is constantly really tight. All of which gives me the sneaky suspicion that it’s not quite right. It doesn’t feel the same as the other leg during a run.

Anyways, on to the Race Report:

Sam and I drove down to Noosa yesterday afternoon, just in time to pick up our race kits (aka race number, chip and pins) and the biggest race tshirts in the history of the known universe. Last years shirt was so small, I ordered a large this year and (of course!) this year they’re different and massive. So, have consigned this one to the gym/nightie pile.

I do love Noosa as a place – the atmosphere is great and it’s really relaxed. We had an icecream, sat on the beach to watch the sun go down and then checked in. Followed by dinner at the RSL (where I kept expecting to see loads of Crs – felt like GC all over again!) and then had a reasonably early night.

Got up at 5am, headed to the startline and chatted with some familiar faces. Noosa is nice like that – small enough to see loads of people you know, big enough to be fun but not chaotic like the B2B.

Before I knew it, we were off and heading out on the road. Forgotten just how flat the whole course was. Two loops meant I got to see everyone a few times which was great for waving and high fiving people. Which was a great distraction for me, since by 3km I knew I was going to have a shocker, let the 2 hour pacer go and slowed right down.

It was soooooo hot. Me and heat don’t seem to mix well at all whilst running and I could hardly see where I was going during most of the run (note to self: buy new sunnies!) I tuned into my music, tried to zone out and decided at the very least, I was not going to walk ANY of the course (since last year I did 2:13?) and walked quite a few chunks.

When I got to about 9km, my body decided that it had had enough. Despite having breakfast, all of a sudden, I was absolutely STARVING. It was like I suddenly felt my blood sugar drop and I ran out of juice in a big way. Luckily, I had packed a couple of gels in my fuel belt and downed one that more or less instantly picked me up again. I have no doubt that if I’d run that distance without gels (which I’ve often done!) I would have DNF’d. Anyway, kept on keeping on and started feeling slightly better. Had another gel at about 15km just to be on the safeside.

The rest of the kms chugged by, and I amused myself by waving at everyone and experimenting with my running stride, loosening my shoulders up and trying desparately to stop sticking my thumbs up when I run. It’s so subconscious but I must look ridiculous doing it… I’ve got no idea why I do it, either - it just feels comfy. Something to work on when I get cracking on technique, no doubt!

Finished in 2:06 by my watch, which is ten minutes slower than Doomben but a fair bit quicker than last year on that course (so it bloody should be, mind! LOL!) so all up, I’m being philosophical about it all. Quite a few people seem to have bad runs, so at least I’m in good company!

7 comments:

Toasty said...

I did enjoy seeing you out there today and sorry it wasn't as much fun for you. I'd be proud of how you worked through a tough 18K's .... think about it ... that's impressive by any standards.

T-shirts were kinda big.

Jen said...

Are they bigger than the t-shirts for Warwick?? Now they were BIG

Sorry it was't much fun for you today but think about how far you've come over the last year

I think your Sept-Mar approach is a good one. I think (particularly for beginners) we need to step back & consolidate before moving onwards & upwards again. Well, at least that's what I'm trying to tell myself at at the moment, LOL!

Lulu said...

Sounds like a sensible approach to take. I think sometimes we underestimate how tough running is on our bodies, particularly when we are just starting out.

Well done for pushing through your race and achieving a course PB!

Tesso said...

Hey Hannah, I feel your pain. In fact I felt your pain! Not many of our mob came close to their expectations. Dunno why, just one of those days I guess.

Still, what a magic place Noosa is. If you're gonna have a crappy run you might as well have it in a beautiful place :-)

R2B said...

I just read your previous posts and it seems today is your birthday.
So happy birthday!!

R2B

Anonymous said...

Hannah, commiserations on your tough day. I guess they're necessary to make you appreciate the good days eh!
Hannah, have you tried doing yoga? Just for general flexibility and hopefully to straighten out your alleged one-sidedness.
I recommend it (not that I'm an expert!).
Hey, and thumbs up is better than thumbs down!! :-)

Ewen said...

I think that's a good plan Hannah - to go back to basics a bit.

Regarding 'use it or lose it', that can be a trap if you do a lot of distance running and nothing much else.