Sunday, August 06, 2006

25km hilly long run + 12km B2B = big weekend!

Huge running weekend! It's so nice to start to feel some enthusiasm for running again!

Saturday: 25km including a lap of Mount Cootha: 3 hours

Woke up at 4.30am and met Sam at the Regatta at 5.30am. Lucky for me, Sam wanted to run long too and now I'm not doing ridiculous 35km distances every week I'm getting more company!

We set off down to the Botanical Gardens and back, which gave us a flat initial 10km. Was expecting to feel quite disgusting after wednesday's horror, but it was fine. Did a nice, slow plod which surprised me when we hit 5km in about 28:00 minutes (close to my PB, not so very long ago!) Was having a lovely time chatting as we ambled along.

Quick toilet stop at the Regatta on the way back, then we headed off out through toowong to Mount Cootha. Was curious to see how much (if) I had improved since last running it, which must have been at least six months earlier.

For those that have never run Mount Cootha, it has a 2km hill after a 2.5km flat run to it. Last time I did it, I was walking by about 500m up the initial slope. I know exactly where I could run to because there's a chevron sign at the exact spot and I hated never being able to get past it. This time however, I ran all the way up that initial bit without feeling like I was going to die, took on the next bit, and the next and the next without having to walk - and finally got to about 500m (?) before the television towers when I caved in to a slight walk.

I have to say, I'm not feeling too bad about that, considering I thrashed all previous attempts at the run and had already done 10km before trying. I have a sneaky suspicion that if I had a go with fresh legs and took my time, I might actually now make the entire run without walking.

So, Mount Cootha is not yet my biatch, but watch this space! *LOL*

After the run, stopped for fruit toast with Tesso and co, then headed off to Yoga. I'm still as unflexible as buggery, but am hoping I will start to get some benefit soon!

Sunday: B2B 12km: 1:13

Had a very late night last night, coming home at 12.30am then getting up at 4am. Three and a half hours sleep does not a good running hannah make! Still, at least I had the motivation to get out of bed which is a step in the right direction after the last month or so!

Drove to Sam's and carpooled with her and Jill to the bus and then on to the race. Last year, I had a shocker of a race at B2B so it was a bit of a mission for me to run the whole thing this year.

The race started early (wonder if any elite athletes complained about that to the race director for this event? LOL!) and I was immediately reminded how insane massive events over shorter distances are. I had promised myself not to sprint up the bridge but to take things steady and consequently got just about flattened by a ton of people from the yellow zone doing the glory dash. I got elbowed and pushed and shoved around and one guy cracked me so hard that I think I'm going to have bruises. He just ignored me when I bellowed (aka swore) at him and didn't even acknowledge me.

2km in, was highly satisfied as I started passing all the rude, yellow glory dash people but had to stop and use the loo which took me about five minutes because there was a queue! Felt much better afterwards and then settled into a steady pace. Felt surprisingly okay considering the long run yesterday and spent the rest of the time being fascinated and horrified by the various people (can we call them Ruggles? like Muggles - but non-running folk?) doing all manner of rude, obnoxious and disgusting things.

I couldn't believe the number of people cheating - some going down side streets, others chopping massive corners off the course. I just don't understand where the sense of achievement is in selling yourself short like that. I also had the misfortune to run next to a guy who spat at my shoes and coughed like a metronome (hacked up crap every six strides - I know because I counted!) Just disgusting...

Crossed the line in 1:13 or so. Was a bit miffed to miss out on the 70 minute line by so little, but considering the long run yesterday and the toilet stop enroute, I think I would've scraped under so I'm happy enough. Safe to say I think I now got the monkey off my back for this race and won't be doing it next year!

Give me trails and smaller proper running events any day. The one thing I will say for the B2B is that it was very well organised and the marshalls were great.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Wow. That is one HUGE weekend Hannah! I'm with you - give this gal a trail any day!

Chelle said...

Wow, huge weekend of running!
I must agree with you with all the people cutting corners, but I just let them go, they're usually the ones you pass another km down the road anyway :)

Tesso said...

Great weekend of running Hannah!

I didn't have any probs at all at the B2B today, though at these big events I come to expect all sorts of things and so don't let them get to me.

Toasty said...

Mount Cootha will be your biatch.

Cirque said...

Is there anything you should tell us about the 12.30 night?

Shane said...

That is great result with Mt Coot-tha, I remember reading your blog ages ago about the first time you ran up there. It's great to be able to see your progress. The first time I tried to run up there it sorted me out quick smart and had to walk aswell. You will conquer it, no doubting that.

The big events always attract all types, it is just a shame that it takes away the experience of such a big race. They can be enjoyable, but I agree it would piss me off aswell if some people spat and hit me, so much so that I wouldn't be too fussed about returning next year either.

TA and the Gnome said...

I think you're rapidly turning Mount Cootha into Hill Cootha. Isn't it fantastic to cover old ground and realise just what you've achieved!

Gnome