Saturday, August 12, 2006

3 Hour Trail run + Yoga

Well, mount cootha may not be my biatch, but Mount Gravatt now is ;) It's a lot easier (and smaller) than Mount Coot-tha, but yay me. I clearly remember not so many years ago being dumbfounded at the thought of even walking to it, let alone up it!

This morning my lovely GH 50km partner in crime, Suzannah, took me for a run around our local area. She lives just around the corner from me which is handy and I was amazed at the trails within running distance of my house! We went all through Toohey Forest which I've been itching to do for ages.

My long, long runs are the only time at the moment where I feel good about my running. I love it... love the fresh air, the scenery. Suzannah and I seemed to both have a bad case of the break-yourself-bug, because we continuously managed to trip over stuff, slip and almost turn ankles on the way. Honestly, I'm clumsy at the best of times, but this was a new level for me! I stopped counting after eight near misses.

The run was lovely and very civilised. The most amusing point was about five minutes from the end of the run where we got back into suburbia, only to come face to face with three, extrodinarily loud Geese, honking their heads off. Both of us stopped dead because geese have a bit of a reputation, but we got by without being chased! We also came across an enormous grey dog in the bush that put it's hackles up at us too. The owner didn't seemed to care!

We also bumped into half of the river city runners on the back of mount gravatt, a ton of people doing bootcamp and a guy walking a dog that looked more like a powderpuff on legs than a canine!

Contemplating doing west end tomorrow - depends on how my legs and feet are. Did yoga after this mornings run and my yoga teacher told me I should do a shoulder stand after training to drain the crap out of my legs. Makes sense in theory and I did it today, so we'll see if it (and skins) make a difference.

2 comments:

Cirque said...

Oops - I must have missed something. I thought you'd moved to the northside? Is that not happening?

Anonymous said...

Hannah, be careful with head stands and even shoulder stands. Those parts of your body were not designed to take your body weight.
To drain the rubbish out of your legs, I recommend you lie down on your back and just put your legs up as high as you can against a wall.
I love to see you improving from week to week. Good luck at Noosa!