Friday, December 02, 2005

little plastic bits and mentalness

Finally feeling a little more human! Hormones - gotta hate them. A combination of that and a case of the lonelies has had me feeling round the twist the last few days. So few of my friends are single these days that I don't think many of them understand quite what it's really like on a full time this-is-my-life sort of basis. Most of the time it's fine and I enjoy the freedom immensely, but occasionally it can just eat away at you. Anyway, doesn't help to dwell, so nothing to do but get on with things, no doubt!

Back to running talk...

This week, I've noticed that for some strange reason, before any major sort of race or event, I suddenly feel like all my training has backslid and that I'm back to square one. The more it happens, the more I realise it's just a mental thing because even if I don't go well at something, I can still do it (and therefore my training is in fact, adequate) The only time I didn't feel like that was before the Noosa Tri and we all know how that turned out - so really, based on that logic, I should be worrying if I *don't* feel under prepared!

On the plus side, I've shed most of the weight I put on due to my naughty week last week, hurrah! My purple tri suit thanks me. The only problem being that I'm back to square one in that I'm the same weight now that I was when I bought it so it still looks horrific. But at least I'm not on Square two anymore and it won't look worse than it did! ;)

Yesterday I was at a photoshoot and dropped a huge painting that was mounted on 9mm MDF board onto my foot and it took a chunk out of my little toe! It feels a little better today but I'm keeping an eye on it - I've broken that toe about three times (mostly from stubbing it against my futon base!) so it doesnt take much :( positive thoughts - it's going to be fine!

Went to run club last night, went for an easy run. Felt like a piker ;) Went to the gym tonight as well, got a bit carried away with the chin up bar which might not have been such a good idea so close to the weekend, but we shall see, no doubt. Am slowly getting used to my shoes without socks and elastic laces (buggered if I can work out what you do with the plastic bits that come with the elastic laces though!)

The big day approaches *omgomgomg* !!!

8 comments:

Tesso said...

Hannah, what you are feeling is normal. Well, I hope so anyway, cos that's exactly how I feel when I take it easy the week before a big race.

Your first ever tri ... we are all soooooo excited for you!!!

If I don't see you before then all the best and have a wonderful wonderful time at Bribie. Can't wait to read you blog post afterwards.

Jen said...

Woohoo! Your first tri - I am so excited for you Hannah!

Have fun and finish with a big smile for the camera :-)

Lulu said...

I always feel like that before any races, like right now actually and I'm working on the mental attitude too. Your first tri should be great fun and I look forward to reading all about it.

As to being single, I'm with you on that one. I spent 10 years being single before I met Mr lulu (at age 34 + he was 36) and watched most of my friends getting married etc. It can certainly do your head in! The right person is worth waiting for though :)

Anonymous said...

Those little plastics things that you get with the laces are required to lock the lace in once you have the right tension. It saves you tying the lace which enables you to adjust the lace quickly rather than undoing the knot every time. In terms of how to put them on there are a few different ones so I cant help you there. Hope that helps. Good luck on the weekend.

Katie said...

I ALWAYS feel that before a race! It is amazing how strong the mind is! I can talk myself out of a race easily! My last race I was just really firm with myself... said you have done the training and you can easliy run this and who cares if you don't. Pressure off.... big difference! I also found that listening to music before the run was great... helped me to relax and not talk myself out of it!

Good luck and have a blast... what ever else happens is a bonus!

CJ said...

Enjoy the experience - triathlons can be fun so don't stress out. You will feel so good once you've crossed the finish line - its a big achievement. Go Hannah and good luck!!!

Aki said...

Triathlon seems to be an awesome sport that I don't have the talent for, lol. Balance, endurance, strength, there is not one area that you skimp on. I'm sure you'll have a great time, remember to enjoy yourself. :)

As for being single, I'm with you there. Lots of people I know are getting married, or are married. You get those days where you wonder why no one pays attention to you, but the truth is, if they don't then they're just too stupid to notice. :p Hang in there, and give it time. (Says I, the ultimate single. ;) ).

Unknown said...

First ever anything is an ordeal, Hannah! You'll be just fine when the time comes...looking forward to your report!