Sunday, December 11, 2005

Kurruwa 25km 2:45

Everything you could do wrong before a race, I did before the Kurruwa 25km today! Finished in 2:45 which, considering there was a fair amount of walk breaks going on, was not my best, but not my worst either.

I went to see friends last night and despite my best intentions, got to bed very late at 1am. I got up at 2am reminding myself that the night before a race is never good rest anyway. Sam and I ended up carpooling with MJ and Mark (Iliketoast) which was really good fun and we gossiped the whole way down the coast. We arrived at 4.30am and registered. Everyone looked so very, very fit and determined. My goal then and there was just to finish. Schultzy was there, back from holidays and decided to run the first leg with me. Saw Tesso who was really nervous - and Clairie who was bouncing off the walls!

Before long, we were off. MJ took off up the front with others and I plodded away at the back. We were still going quite quickly for me, doing five-something kms for the first six or seven kms. Sam and Iliketoast were both running the second leg, and went ahead to provide cold water, sponges and sprays at points along the way.

I knew it was going to be a tough run when at 7km, my left shin started hurting in quite a major way. I stopped and stretched it, swearing profusely to myself. Schultzy ran on ahead a way, but needed a few toilet stops so we caught up with each other soon enough. I started to struggle a bit and felt terrible for Sam who was running the second leg and the longer I took, the hotter her return leg was going to be. They decided to have a 2:30 cut off to avoid people having to run the second leg any later, but I immediately felt disheartened since I knew even if I was firing on all cylinders, my PB for the distance was 2.36.

After a while the pain in my shin shifted around to my calf muscle and I started feeling myself limp to compensate. I had a little voice in my head telling me it was not a good idea to carry on with pain like that, but then I realised if I stopped, I'd be completely stranded since our teammates had gone ahead to their start line. So, I made a resolution just to get there, even if I had to walk the whole way. It was (probably) the right decision since by the time I got to about 15km, I got into a bit of a rhythym and my calf became bearable.

They promote Kurruwa as being a flat course, but it definitely isn't a course for the inexperienced runner really. I found myself wondering why I was doing it on many occasions. Usually up the 97 steps and several hills. The worst bit was a huuugggeee hill right at the end, which I didn't even attempt to run after doing 24kms. The heat was pretty nasty by that point and I felt every bit of it.

When I finally finished, I was happy just to stand there and down four cups of water and endura in a row. MJ, Schultzy and I then jumped in the car to crew for our team mates. We had a lot of fun getting ahead of them on the course and returning the favour and cheering for every single coolrunner we saw! We had some party horns and harrassed *ahem* encouraged every runner we saw on the course. Most of them loved it!

Sam crossed the line in 2:37 looking absolutely stuffed, bless her - superb effort considering how hot it was, and she accidentally did an extra set of stairs in there too! Jumped up and down repeatedly, bellowed loudly as she crossed the link and gave her a big hug. Perfect moment!

The barbeque afterwards was great and was a chance to gossip with everyone. The running buddies all went fabulously! Tess and Nick had the most fantastic shirts and xmas hats.

Really enjoyed the day although I swore I'd never do it again during the run. Now I'm not sure. It's definitely a challenge and now I have a time to beat. I'm hoping my calf comes good tomorrow - it's always that same leg that gets injured but I'm defiantly trying to avoid orthotics. Hopeefully it'll be fine!

Congrats to everyone who raced - great effort :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

A tough one, Hannah! But you did it in spite of some difficulties along the way; it happens! A huge hill at the end is terrible punishment, I hope you rest your weary legs & enjoy the Christmas break. Well done & in spite of everything, I'll bet you line up for it again!

Tesso said...

Great run Hannah!!! Unless you've done this one its hard to imagine just how tough it gets out there. As you said, the stairs, the hills, the 'mountain' at the end. And there's the heat! You should be giving yourself a huge pat on the back for getting through it.

I've done this one five times now, and five times I've said "never again". Trouble is once you've been there you can't not go back so no doubt we'll be lining up together December 2006.

Rest up now and recover properly. You've got some running to do in the old country in the next few weeks :-)

2P said...

Gutsy effort Hannah - good on you for sticking it out :-)

Katie said...

Good on you Hannah! It sounds like a tough run... great effort to finish! Running is like giving birth... we forget the pain and keep lining up again and again!!!

Shane said...

After reading a few cool runner blogs about this race, there is a common trend that Kurrawa is a difficult run. You should be proud of yourself, you don't know me but I have read your blog over the past few weeks and the progress you have made over the last 12-18 mths is very inspiring. Keep it up.

Tamyka Bell said...

I thought you were so wonderful when you guys cheered for me on the way back - I didn't realise you'd been in so much pain on the way out! How very selfless of you, you're the best :D

You may be trying desperately to avoid orthotics - I did that too. Eventually I got them, and I haven't had any significant problems since. (I've had niggles when ramping up my training too quickly but they've subsided quickly also.)

I thought they would make me weak and dependant but I discovered that (1) they really help when I'm fatigued and running lazily and (2) when I'm strong and running well, they're just a tactile reminder for the muscles to do their job.

Running in orthotics for nearly every run has given me the ability to run without them when I need to, without pain. Some podiatrists are better than others, though - mine rocks, so email me if you want his details. He works at various Brisbane and Gold Coast locations.

Cirque said...

Good on you Hannah. Yet another really tough achievement to add to your list! And good on you for keeping up the enthusiasm to cheer the others when you were exhausted and sore, too. Have a great time in the UK and I'll catch up with you when you get back.

Toasty said...

I saw alot of your run and it was right up there as one of the gutsiest efforts of the day. I clearly remember the "I shouldn't have had that milk drink" comment. Sam and I looked at each other and decided we had a little longer for our stomachs to settle before our "Up and Go" did just that. You have alot to be proud of running in those conditions. Congratulations on a job very very well done! Your partner in crime Sam also did a sensatonal job and I feel privileged to be a small part of it.

Lulu said...

It sounds from the other blogs that it's a tough run this one. It's hard when you're struggling to keep going but you did. One more triumph for Hannah against the world! Well done and I'm sure you're going to have a great 2006.

miners said...

fantastic effort Hannah - I've been following this race for years, and Kurrawa has always been reported as one tough race - and sometimes I think you forget where you were this time 12 months ago! Your improvement over this year has been just phenomenal. I'm really proud of you :)

Wobbly man said...

Nice one Hannah!! I dont understand why you are avoiding orthotics? They may well prevent some injuries. Congrats on toughing out another race mate!