Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Biggest Blister on the face of the Planet!

So, I didn’t do Kurruwa… *rolls eyes at self*

But I do have an excuse or two. I seem to be in the wars lately!

I was all teed up to run with Schultzy – I was going to do the first leg, he was going to do the second. I finally committed to doing it on the Wednesday at the Run Inn. Then, on the thursday, I went to personal training and managed to pull a muscle on the front of my right ankle. I didn’t even know you had muscles there, but apparently you do and it hurt like a bastard.

By Saturday, it was no better (the pain of weights hitting the usual 48 hours after) and I met the girls at the park down the road from me for a gentle hit out. I ran there and after 500m knew I wasn’t going to be able to do Kurruwa. Waaa. Schultzy ended up running the whole 50km on no training, the crazy, crazy man.

Anyway, next year, I’ve decided I will do the whole 50km. So there.

My glass house running buddy extraordinaire, Susannah, came fourth female so I’m egging her on to get bling next year. She said she went out too slowly (!) so I reckon she’s got it in her! Go Suze! Woooo!!

On Monday, I went to the social run out at sandgate. Managed to forget my socks and ran without, thinking I’d be fine (I’ve run without at the tris without incident) we had the most fabulous (fast, fast, fast!) 45 minute run and I could feel my left shoe rubbing, but was feeling so good keeping up with Sam and Phil that I didn’t want to stop.

By the time I got back to the cars, I had gained the most impressive blister of my entire life to date – about three or four inches long, one inch wide along the arch of my foot. It is disgusting!

I bandaged it up, shoved a layer or eight of sports tape over it and tried to do track the next night. No way… any time I start running, it feels like someone is shoving a knife in the side of my foot. I went home in disgust, succumbed to the temptation (though I know you’re not supposed to!) and popped it. Ewwwwww. I should really take a photo, or name it or something!

Went and bought some of the gel dressings, had another go at taping it. Went to running tonight, 3km in, knives. Foot. Owww. Walking. I did however manage to end up getting my photo taken with the gals for the courier mail ;) Keep your eyes out for my five minutes of fame ;) two of the boys may be able to make their TV debut, too! Ah, fame ;)

Anyway, currently I’m planning no more hardcore running until Tuesday. Really annoyed since I actually feel semi-enthusiastic about it all again!

The last couple of months have been really weird for me for running. I've been really busy for work, struggling with weight and food and motivation and things. January 1 will mark two years since I started running... I think I need to sit down and plan out next year some more! Perhaps some goals will get me going again ;)

6 comments:

miners said...

we love popping blisters ;)

so apart from more blisters, some running goals would certainly be a good idea to get things moving positively for 2007. How about some races in far-flung places you haven't had a chance to get to yet. Thnigs like Great Ocean Road marathon, Kangaroo Island, Riverina, or even City 2 Surf which I don't think you've attempted yet?

Tesso said...

Gees, in the wars alright! Don't worry, I'm sure Schultzy loved doing the 50k ;-)

Hard to believe its only been two years when I think of what you have done. You should be mighty proud of yourself Hannah!

Jen said...

My vote is for the City to Surf! Nothing like new running goals to give the motivation levels a big kick along !

Cirque said...

I'll keep my eyes open for the CM article Hannah

Ewen said...

Go the goals! The 50k will be a big one. I hope the fast run was worth the blister.

Shane said...

I was wondering where you were on Sunday. Gee you have had some bad luck , but thankfully it doesn't sound too serious.

I still can't get over that you have only been running for less than 2 years, your like a seasoned runner and have accomplished so many great things already. Can't wait to read what you decide on doing in '07'.