Sunday, April 22, 2007

Bonescans and Brisbane Marathon Bag Lady

Went to have my bonescan. Definitely not the most pleasant thing I've ever done - they inject you with radioactive isotopes, then you have to wait around for two hours for it to go through your system, whilst drinking tons of water. Then they hog tie your feet in various positions (which hurt with a sore foot!) and videotape the glowing stuff moving through your blood stream. Anyway, four hours later it was done and tomorrow I can ring to see if my GP has the results. Hopefully they'll give me them over the phone. If not, it's another visit to the doctor.

Today I went to help out at the Brisbane Marathon in the baggage area with toasty and my running buddies Ronnie, Tracey and Jill. When we got there nothing was set up. Within minutes, throngs of marathon runners had descended on us and about 45 minutes of madness ensued. We managed to get all the bags in rows and ordered by number though. There's something very satisfying about that (must be the virgo in me!) and no one had to wait more than a couple of seconds when dropping off or picking up. Had a lovely time with the gals and toasty, joked and gossiped as we went. Got to say hello to most of the usual suspects too. There were quite a few amazingly rude people too, who just slammed their bags down when dropping off and then when they picked them up, they just grabbed them and walked away without saying anything. Naughty wench that I am, I started yelling 'YOU'RE WELCOME!" in a bright, cheery voice as they departed. I cannot, cannot, cannot abide that sort of rudeness. Even if we weren't volunteers, it's so unnecessary and ungrateful. But anyway, enough of my soap box.

By the time we'd done most of the baggage, my foot was really hurting. It's been feeling a lot better the last few days (typical, after tests and all!) but today it ached like hell. I felt really jealous of everyone out there running! I also remembered how horrific my half was at the race last year and by the gods, after all this, next year, I'm soooooo going to whip it's arse!

I think the realisation that all plans and goals for the rest of this year are on hold is finally sinking in a bit. Bit depressing. I am thinking that if the foot issue does turn out to be soft tissue, I should give my foot another two or three weeks off before returning to running, and that doesn't leave me enough time to get into shape for the GCM. After having done the full last year, I feel weird about dropping down to the half there.

Anyway, whinging doesn't get me anywhere, that's for sure. Will just have to suck it up and get on with things.

Congrats to everyone who did the Bris Mara this morning. It looked so hot, you poor things!

3 comments:

Shane said...

Geez I didn't think bone scans were that expensive. I had three last year and I agree they are pretty annoying and boring things. Hopefully it shows the all clear for the nasty things, however for that price you almost want something to show up ;-)

Seriously take it easy until the results come in there is still quite a bit of time before GCM. Take care!

Tesso said...

Thanks for helping out today. There's no way events like this could go ahead or be successful without people like you :-)

Ewen said...

Those bag ladies (and gentlemen) do a fantastic job. I'm always impressed. Especially at the City to Surf. Thanks Hannah.