Saturday, March 31, 2007

TT run and 50km at Mount Mee?

My trip to Cairns was fab. Basically three days of gluttony, but back on the lite n' easy wagon today. Giving the scales another week before I see what damage I did!

Got up at 5am today and headed to the 5km time trial. So many new people, I hardly knew anyone! Did 28 mins I think, but I wasn't pushing it at all so I'm happy enough. Felt reasonably comfortable the whole way too (or at least, until I stopped!)

The weirdest thing is learning to trust my foot again. I'm still very suspicious of even the slightest twinge or ache. I can still slightly feel where the problem was (after a run anyway) though it is nothing compared to what it was like. All ithings considered I think that's normal, so I'm proceeding with caution and monitoring things as I go.

I'm really looking forward to going back to wednesday night running - it's amazing how much gossip you miss when you don't go for a few weeks. Not so keen about the idea of going back to track because I know it is going to be soooo much more painful to start with, but I think next week is surely the week. Because my focus is currently on distance, I'm even wondering if I should still be doing track cos I don't really need to go faster, just longer - but I know the answer is probably yes... anything that improves my cardio would have to help me.

So many races and things coming up, gotta be right for them! I'm particularly eyeing up the Mount Mee 50km on 29th April. It's only a week after the Brisbane Mara, but I think I'd rather run long at Mount Mee instead... hills, trails, variety.... not just the same old bike paths we all know and love/hate. If I do it, it starts at 6am, but I'm going to need at least two hours head start so I don't hold everyone else up. I'll have to ask Uncle Phil (I can see the expression on his face already!) I'd rather do it at a comfortable pace and with some walk breaks than with the stress of a pace car up my behind the whole time.

Anyway, had better go and get ready for the GH run with Vegie and Davo tonight! It's sooo unbelievably good to be running again!

2 comments:

Robert Song said...

Given your stated running goals are all ultras, I would have thought distance is way way more important than track speed sessions in getting you what you want to achieve. Also given the recent lay off would have eaten into your base, it would be good to work on your basic aerobic fitness with lots of aerobic running. Track sessions may not be what your foot is up to at this stage in recovering from an injury as well. Just my two cents though.

By the way, did you ever find out why you got the foot problem? You don't want that happening again.

Ewen said...

As Robert says, the distance is very important for ultras - especially getting two decent long runs in (semi-long and long) each week.

Having said that, I don't see a problem with doing track sessions (it can be fun to run faster), just run them 'controlled', as opposed to 'desperate', and use them to practise good running form.