Sunday, January 14, 2007

Hares and Hounds

Last night, Lisa (aka Vegie) came round to crash before the H&H run up at Glasshouse today. We got up at 2am and headed out... I don't think I'll ever get used to getting up at 2am for a run! Makes 5am feel almost luxurious!

Arrived up at Glasshouse at 3.35am, just after the hares had set off. Bumped into a few familar faces and met up with my fellow team mates, "The Dirty Harriettes" and beautified ourselves with glittery tattoos, pink lipstick, tiaras and bling.

I ended up doing the first leg in the dark. Going on past experience, I was a bit nervous about it, since I have a tendency to get lost fairly easily, but the markings on the course were absolutely fab - best I've ever seen up there and I managed to make it through my first leg in tact.

The weather was really humid and by the time I'd finished my first leg, I was sweating buckets. Tanky and I alternated the first few legs and then I ran Lisa's legs with her too. Made my total run 24km, which was nice. The more I ran, the better I felt. Do really want to buy some proper trail shoes though!

Somewhere along the way, out on the course, my car battery decided to die. Talk about timing. Thankfully, the boys were driving my car and I was riding in Karen's car. They had to push start it at every checkpoint. No mean feat given the hilly area!

I think my favourite part of the run was Henessys Hill... all the Mount Cootha running and squats have been doing wonders for my legs and I felt really good. Infact, the more I ran, the better I felt so I'm feeling more optimistic about my prospects for actually being able to cover 100km in September.

I do love the Glasshouse area - gorgeous, natural backdrop for running, fresh air and peace and quiet. Just fabulous.

At the end of the run, we met back at the pool for a shower and barbeque. Then I tried to ring RACQ to get them to bring me a battery, but unfortunately, they only accept a credit card and I cut mine up last year - they'd only come out to jump start me, but we could do that by clutch starting it anyway. Schultzy and Davo push started the three of us down the hill, bless them! Thanks Guys!

So, Adrian volunteered to drive my car to a car place for me so I could buy one. Davo lent me some tools so we could change it over when we got there.

We were literally the last customer the battery world place served! So lucky we got there in time! The the boys swapped it over for me and all was well.

How great are our Brisbane running boys? They all went completely out of their way to help me out today... makes me really proud to be part of the running community. Lovely, lovely people we have!

3 comments:

Tesso said...

Well done Hannah! Hope somebody got some happy snaps of all you girls.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Tesso, have a look at Vegie's post on the H & H thread. I'm proud to say I took three of 'em!

Hey Hannah, I'm trying to think up a verse where I can rhyme Hannah with Spanner, but can't think of anything.
Great morning wasn't it!
Oh, and me & Shultzy have ulterior motives for pushing your car : it's good sprint training!! :-)

Mat said...

Good work there.
Sounded like fun too.