Friday, June 22, 2007

MRI results are back

Well, the good (?) news is that my foot problems werent just my imagination.

I have bursitis in two of the joints in my big toe. The MRI picked up fluid in them and a bit of distention, but apparently not enough to need draining (!)

I haven't really had a chance to google/search CR about it yet, but from a brief glance at the web, seems treatment is rest (check) anti-inflammatories (check) ice (check) and failing those three (check) cortisone injections. Bugger me :(

Besides the fact that I'm not too fabulous with huge needles, I'll have to find out if this is a long term solution or just a temporary one. If it's a temporary one and it's going to come back, what's the point?

Blah. Who would have thought something so small could cause so many problems!

But on the bright side, at least it's not more serious.

5 comments:

Clairie said...

That sounds like good news to me Hannah.

RICE....that's the way to go.


BTW I have never had an issue with cortison injections. Especially on your foot the needle won't need to be any larger than a standard prick size one. Gosh that sounds terrible :)

Anyhow best of luck and I hope to see you out there on the road again quickly.

Shane said...

I agree with Clairie, as you know I just had three Cortisone Injections in my foot, a little discomfort but nothing that will bring tears to the eyes. Mine were mixed with a local so it feels like you can run a marathon as soon as it's injected. It feels worse for the next 12 -24 hrs then it certainly does the job.

On the negative side I had pre patella bursitis (knee cap) and had the cortisone injections and had it drained heaps of times. It didn't help at all and had surgery to have the bursae removed. Haven't had a problem since with the knee.

Here's hoping the RICE plan works and you don't have to worry about all that stuff. Take care :-)

Cirque said...

All I know is that I had bursitis in my elbow and it bloody hurt!

Good luck and see you soon.

Stephen Lacey said...

Glad you finally have a name for it and an understanding of what you have. That should help to deal with it both physically and mentally.

Tesso said...

So glad you have finally found out what the problem is after all these months.

Surely the needle is smaller if you don't look at it :-)