Sunday, July 01, 2007

GCM 2007

So, ventured down to the gold coast today to watch everyone do the half, the 10k and the marathon. Full of memories of last year and it killed me watching everyone get all pumped and take off, only to stand like a lemon and watch.

Pretty emotional and it actually sort of took me by surprise - I was quite prepared to stand and cheer and take lots of photos, when I remembered to hand my chip back in and was told I couldn't even get the tshirt because they're for 'finishers' only. Much to my embarrassment I almost cried in front of the woman. Yes, I know it's only a bloody race, it's only a bloody tshirt and there's always bloody next year, but it still upset me. I'm easily upset currently, much to my irritation. I just can't wait for this year to be over.

It wasn't all doom and gloom though - this pic is me and running buddy Tracey stealing the sub 3.30 marathon sign at the start of the race. It's the closest we're ever going to get to one and we gave it back afterwards, honest ;)

I took about 200 photos all up but I'm not uploading them until I get to work (and fast broadband) but lots of nice shots. Susannah did an amazing PB, coming in at just over 3.30 (18mins!) and Ronnie came in at 2.15, smashing her PB by 15 minutes! Great to see.

I couldn't find the CR cheer squad and couldn't hear well enough to use my mobile - too much noise and if I moved, I'd have lost our spot/table/place which I was holding for the run inn runners. Mind you, I almost didn't want to see anyone when I feel so revolting - better for me to just pull my head in and get on with getting myself sorted out before facing lovely CR people. Was quite happy just seeing one or two familiar faces and having a relatively quiet one.

It's good that it was quiet, because if I have anything to do with it, next year is going to be anything but! Nothing motivates more than a good dose of abject frustration.

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Sorry I missed you Hannah. The cheersquad were out on the road about 500m before the finish.

Tesso said...

It was so good to see you at the start line Hannah. And thanks for taking that pic of Tuttle and I. He's a lovely guy. We will all be seeing more of him when he and his fam relocate to Brissie.

I ran into Ronnie later too, she was happy gal!